Minutes – Joint Finance Committee/Board Meeting
Boise Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
May 10, 2021
Board Members: Tom von Alten, Sara Cox, Elaine Daly, Eileen Geddings, Rachel Murphy, Elizabeth Pirie, Scott Smith, Cathy Sherman, Mark Zimmerer
Finance Committee: Linden Boice, Robert Huntley, Blake Olsen, David Woito
Personnel Committee: Debbie Johnson, Patti Raino
Rev. Sara LaWall
|Board Action||20210510-1||Approve budget with adjustment to reflect increase to minister salary to Step 4 and other staff to +2.6% of their current wages and adjust anticipated AGD outcome to cover the deficit.||Moved: Scott Smith Second: Sara Cox So moved Raised hand vote|
Presentation to the Board
Fiscal Year 2021/2022 Budget – Tom von Alten
Discussion included the following:
- The Annual Giving Drive (AGD) is again on track to be successful despite Covid 19. Projected contributions are +9.5% over FY21.
- The initial deficit was projected to be $17k.
- Several expenditures that were decreased for 2020/2021 due to Covid are restored to pre-Covid amounts.
- Two changes to staffing are proposed that increase the overall budget: 1) move Gem to from RE Coordinator position to RE Director, and 2) adding a part-time AV position to help carry on virtual services post-Covid.
- Reverend Sarah’s salary is lagging comparable salaries – it is not even at the mid-point of the UUA range for geographic area and church size. Moving her salary (total of wages and housing allowance) from Step 3 to Step 4 of UUA guidelines is a step towards the mid-point. She expressed a desire to keep the wages of other staff members in good alignment with the minister salary reflecting the collaborative nature of running BUUF. So while a move to a higher Step could be appropriate, the correct balance needed to be found.
- Other staff wages will be increased 2.6%.
- Rev. Sara was notified shortly before the meeting that some members who wish to remain anonymous are providing an annual gift of $50k. Half of the amount can go towards the general budget with the other $25k loosely designated towards the social justice ministry. The $25k could potentially be used this fiscal year to offset a projected deficit if needed.
Subsequent to the meeting, on 5/12/21, Tom von Alten sent the following request for approval:
“Consistent with Article V (Board of Directors), Section 8 (Action Outside of a Meeting) of our current bylaws, and consistent with our action at Monday night’s joint meeting of the Board, Finance and Personnel committees, I hereby request the Board’s approval of this draft budget, for presentation to the annual meeting of the congregation this Sunday, May 16, by written consent outside of a meeting.”