Via Zoom teleconferencing
7TH PRINCIPLE: RESPECT FOR THE INTERDEPENDENT WEB OF ALL EXISTENCE OF WHICH WE ARE A PART
A. Sign In/Chalice Lighting/Reading/Introductions
Attendees: Dan Bacon, Ty Benoit, Claudia Fernsworth, Eileen Geddings, Blanca Gerard, Bob Huntley, Betsy Johnson, Dennis Rockwood, Sharon Rockwood, Jane Rohling
B. Review of the events during Earth Month – April 22 – May 24
April 22 – UUMFE “The Condor and the Eagle” Film
April 26 – BUUF Worship “Earth Day Climate Justice Service” Mary Beth
April 27 – BUUF “What’s up with the Orange Bag Program” Catherine Chertudi 23 attendees
May 6 – BUUF “En-ROADS – Climate Solutions Calculator” Greg Weeks. 23 attendees
May 13 – BUUF “Climate Realities in the Age of COVID-19” Tyra Benoit 24 attendees
May 20, 7-9 pm
Q&A with Connor DeVane the Filmmaker of “Hike the Divide: A Conversation About Climate Action on the Continental Divide Trail” Watch movie: http://www.hikethedivide.com/ approx. 90 min.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/97665987586?pwd=cnNJL2VLSWY3Y2llRWljU3pwb2REQT09
May 24 – Earth Month 2020 Final Day – (Thank you Scott for revising the “Earth Month Calendar – to reflect that service will be virtual)
1. Message from Rev. Sara: “what would help me most is to hear from you and members of the CAT team …I am thinking about … the discoveries we’ve made for ourselves around being able to adapt and change and how our planet has benefited greatly from the shutdown of the globe . . .wondering what we can learn and how can we advocate for change. I welcome any additional thoughts!” Sara
–Send ideas, references, suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Dennis sent a few suggestions. Please send any other suggestions for Rev. Sara to Dennis by the end of the day Monday, 5/18.
D. Discussion for Next Meeting: Upcoming CAT Activities
1. Green Sanctuary Projects – HOMEWORK: review the report (see attached) and consider which “projects” we want to emphasize. Recruit members of the congregation to lead and/or participate. (CAT team needs additional volunteers to take on specific projects.)
a. Eileen mentioned that there is an opportunity to replace regular batteries with rechargeable batteries (in portable mics and other devices). Can be explored and implemented when in-person services resume.
2. CAT calendar planning for 2020-21
a. Scott said it is unlikely that BUUF will have in-person services by the end of the calendar year. UUA sent guidelines that indicated May 2021. Issue is risk of BUUF staff and congregants. We should plan for virtual meetings.
b. Ideas for next events/topics to present to BUUF
– Dan Bacon’s solar energy information. Sharon will email Dan to think about ways to get the information out.
– Jane suggested Diane Jones (BUUF member) who owns Dragonwings Nursery to explore water wise and sustainable gardening. Jane will contact.
– Jane will contact Gem with RE about any art by kids and youth that could be highlighted.
– Ty Benoit suggested starting a Climate Book Club. She volunteers to lead.
– Jane and Dennis will explore a way to highlight positions on environment of Idaho Legislators in the area up for reelection. Suggestion to contact Walt Minnick (BUUF member) for his recommendation on ways to implement. CCL Boise Chapter may have information to share.
– Pledge for 100% Renewable Energy by Boise, Ada County, Canyon County, Eagle, etc. Publicize and endorse.
– Social Justice Plate Partners has CCL as a nominee (was a partner in Nov. 2019). CAT should be sure environmental organizations are included each year.
– Consider repeating the Earth Month in 2021 with more great presenters and ways to get involved.
NEW MEETING DATES:
June 22 (Monday) at 7:00pm via Zoom TBD (Third Monday)
July 20 (Monday at 7:00 pm via Zoom TBD (Third Monday)