October 18th, 2019 @ 1:00p.m.
Eileen Oldag, Thomas Neale, Don Stepich, Diane Ryssel, Mary Beth Bolin, Ministerial Intern
October 31st, 2019 @ 9:30.m. at BUUF
- Congregational Session: Fall Resolution Feedback October 27th, 2019, 12:45 to 2:45p.m.
- RJM Program: White Privilege November 4th, 2019, 6:30 – 8:30p.m.
- Collective Thriving Conference December 3rd thru the 5th, 2019.
- Indigenous Peoples Day and Sage meetings reflections: Consensus that overall both events went well. Improvement for future meetings include, set up tables for small groups, and prepare for large group attendance, regardless of actual attendance outcomes. Deliver a clearer message of why we are here, and what we hope for folks to take away from the message.
- Fall Resolution Feedback covered by Don, Diane, and Mary Beth:
- Role is to present and make a case for the 8th principle.
- Offer historical lookback on principles and their purpose.
- Address why is the 8th principle important now.
- Receive feedback from congregants.
- Racial Justice Ministry Path to Racial Allyship Series:
- Six programs (1) per month. White people doing white peoples work. Offer a brief overview at beginning of each session with a handout.
- Dates and topics:
- 11/04/19 White privilege
Tom and Don will team up on the 11/04 class
- 12/02/19 Implicit bias including microaggression/good and bad binary
Eileen and Diane will team up on the 12/02 class
- 02/02/20 White fragility
- 03/01/20 Intersectionality
- 04/06/19 Systemic racism
- 05/04/19 Racial literacy and allyship
- 11/04/19 White privilege
- What do you want people to walk away with?
- Increased awareness of white privilege
- White people need to do the work (understanding this is our job)
- Increased awareness of opportunities
- Discussion regarding how the social justice teams might function together, opening doors for inclusion and understanding. Ideas were shared regarding how the various social justice teams could be informed by the RJM ministry. Suggestions:
- As a part of our presentations…racial justice is also a part of environmental/climate change justice, immigration, and asylum seekers justice.
- Make a statement of availability in our handouts…recognizing the integration of social justice issues, and how they fit together.
- How can we support each other within the various social justice ministries, including children.
- Offer ourselves for 15 minute presentations to explain our program, or meet individually over coffee.
- Don – Create outline for Fall Resolution Feedback session. Continue preparation for 11/04 White Privilege session. Prep meeting prior to Fall Resolution Feedback session.
- Tom – Continue preparation for 11/04 White Privilege session.
- Eileen – Snacks, internet connection, laptop with links for video presentations 11/04 White Privilege class.
- Diane – Locate beads and string for exercise 11/04 class. Forward Paula Jones email to Don and Mary Beth. Sign in Sheets for 11/04 class. Reach out to Robin Crister with Idaho Mixed Race. Prep meeting prior to Fall Resolution Feedback session. Email Reverend Sara regarding Collective Thriving Conference scholarship availability and protocol.
- Mary Beth – Prep meeting prior to Fall Resolution Feedback session.
Ongoing Team Focus:
- Short videos for discussion
- Series beginning in November
- 8th principle
- Recruiting other speakers
- Advertising Events
- Fund raising options
- Offering a book series Waking up White in the spring (Eileen)