October 3rd, 2019 @ 9:30a.m.
|Present:||Eileen Oldag, Thomas Neale, Don Stepich, Diane Ryssel|
|Next meeting:||October 18th, 2019 @ 9:30 a.m. at BUUF|
- Reverend Greene’s message October 6th, 2019 BUUF (both services)
- Sage Meeting October 10th, 2019 from 9:00 to 10:45a.m.
- Indigenous Peoples Day Event October 14th,2019 from 6:30 to 8:30p.m.
- Congregational Session re: proposed resolutions October 27th, 2019, starting at 12:45p.m.
- Sage meeting: Power Point with terms will run prior to the start of the presentation
- Tom will open and close
Each RJM member will have 10 minutes to share definition and dialogue
Don – racism
Eileen – good/bad binary
Tom – white privilege
Diane – microaggression
Handout will be offered along with a few resources (fewer than 5) along with pamphlets
- Tom will open and close
- Indigenous Peoples Day (IDP):
- Seating- initially in a U shape for the event. Break into smaller groups for discussion. Maintain flexibility with seating depending upon attendance.
Questions from video presentations (what is the main question that stimulates thought?):
Greg Deal video: Use self-portrait. Drawing from your personal experience, how is this self-portrait the same or different from your mental picture of Native Americans?
Nancy Marie Mithlow video: Example of intersectionality. From your personal experience as a child and growing up, what has your impression been of Native American Women? Has anything changed?
Schedule for the evening:
- Tom will open
- Don will introduce the Gregg Deal video and lead the small group discussion
- Short break for tea and cookies
- Diane will introduce the Nancy Marie Mithlo Video and lead the small group discussion
- Eileen will cover the 8th principle (present information only…no discussion)
- Tom will close
- Racial Justice Ministry Path to Racial Allyship Series:
Six programs (1) per month. White people doing white peoples work. Offer a brief overview at beginning of each session with a handout.
Dates and topics:
- 11/04/19 White privilege
- 12/02/19 Implicit bias including microaggression/good and bad binary
- 02/02/20 White fragility
- 03/01/20 Intersectionality
- 04/06/19 Systemic racism
- 05/04/19 Racial literacy and allyship
Tom and Don will team up on the 11/04 class
Eileen and Diane will team up on the 12/02 class
What do you want people to walk away with?
- Increased awareness of white privilege
- White people need to do the work (understanding this is our job)
- Increased awareness of opportunities
- Don – continue to work on formulating resources for the upcoming series, and add resource information to his term list for Sages presentation.
- Tom – Continue to work on Sages presentation and IPD event.
- Eileen – Work on Sages presentation and IPD event
- Diane – Locate beads and string for exercise 11/04 class. Sages presentation. Sign-up sheet for IPD. Reach out to Robin Crister with Idaho Mixed Race
- Ongoing Team Focus:
- Indigenous Peoples Day event
- Sages Meeting
- Short videos for discussion
- Reverend Greene’s October 6th message
- Series beginning in November
- 8th principle
- Recruiting other speakers
- Brochure and postcard
- Advertising Events
- Fund raising options
- Program development for series presentations
- Offering a book series Waking up White in the spring (Eileen)