August 8th, 2019 @ 2:00p.m.
|Present:||Eileen Oldag, Thomas Neale, Don Stepich, Diane Ryssel, Reverend Sara|
|Next meeting:||August 22, 2019 @ 2:00p.m.|
Social Justice retreat on August 24th, 2019, 9a.m. to noon.
Elizabeth Green plans to attend the next RJM meeting on August 22nd, 2019.
Reverend Sara joined in for the first part of the RJM meeting. Discussion included adopting the 8th principle with a goal toward moving forward with a resolution and eventually a congregant vote.
Ideas continue for guest speakers. Reverend Sara mentioned having Dr. Keith Anderson of BSU share the lectern with Elizabeth Green on October 6th. She stated that she would reach out to Keith Anderson regarding his availability.
Sheri Buchner Webb or Paulette Jordan were also possible names offered to speak for Indigenous Peoples Day.
It was suggested that RJM series run in sets of 3 weeks.
Possible dates for RJM series and events:
- 10/6/19 – Elizabeth Green and Dr. Keith Anderson
- 10/14/19 – Indigenous Peoples Day event
- 11/14 and 11/18/19 – 7-9pm evening series (2) topics
- 1/05/20 – 12:30pm (following service) Pizza and Racism
- 1/19/20 – MLK Sunday event
- 2/02 and 2/16/20 – 12:30pm Pizza and Racism
- 3/01 and 3/15/20 – 12:30pm Pizza and Racism
- 4/06 and 4/20/20 – 7-9pm evening series (2 topics)
Continuing to discuss what to name the series
- Don will send an email to Jim Bigelow regarding protocol and possible dates for racial justice events and teaching series.
- Tom will look into RJM speaking at the September 12th Sage group meeting held at the Copper Kitchen. Meeting time is 9:00a.m.
- Diane will contact Paula Cole Jones regarding presentation ideas for the Indigenous Peoples event.
- Diane will contact office schedulers (Reverend Sara) to reserve October 6th, 2019 for Elizabeth Green and possibly Dr. Keith Anderson. Additionally, reserve January 19th, 2020 for MLK Day.
- Eileen will continue to work on the design of the RJM pamphlet. Seeking relevant quotes.
- All members will continue to research materials that may support and facilitate launching this ministry.
Ongoing Team Focus:
- Indigenous Peoples Day event
- Short videos for discussion
- Elizabeth Green and guest speaker
- 8th principle
- Recruiting other speakers
- Fund raising options
- Offering a book series Waking up White in the spring (Eileen)