Social Justice Ministry Teams
Boise Unitarian Universalist Fellowship’s Social Justice Council provides guidance for a number of current and emerging social justice ministries. A social justice ministry team is a group that strives to meet a justice need, enact legislative change, and/or works within our community (both local and national) to achieve greater social justice both in Idaho and beyond.
Starting a Social Justice Ministry Team
Emerging social justice ministries are asked to complete the form linked below. Please save a copy for yourself, and email the completed form to email@example.com. This form will help you and your group ensure that you have a focus (is your group service or advocacy-based?), a vision for your ministry, and that you have set achievable goals for your ministry. This form also helps the Social Justice Council to provide a collaborator for your ministry team and to assist you in finding both community partners and BUUF partners.
Joining a Social Justice Ministry Team
We have numerous social justice ministry groups here at BUUF. Please read the list below for a description and contact information for our currently active groups. If you do not see a group that reflects your social justice interests, consider starting a new group! Contact our Social Justice Coordinator, or anyone on the Social Justice Council for assistance.
Currently, the Social Justice Council provides support to the following ministry teams:
- Earth Care Ministry Team: The Earth Care Ministry Team works for enacting environmental justice in our community, and supports initiatives by environmental organizations, including the Idaho Sierra Club. They are currently working to create an Interfaith Coalition for Climate Change. Contact Zachary Chastain for more information.
- Pride Task Force: BUUF participates in Boise Pride Fest in June each year. Volunteers are needed for organization, marching in the parade, and running our Pride booth. Contact the volunteer coordinator if you are interested.
- Refugee Justice Ministry Team: A team who responds to refugee issues in the Treasure Valley and Idaho as a whole, they have been involved in promoting better legislation and have worked with local refugee rights groups.
- Mission: To support and advocate for refugee and immigrant issues in our community (and beyond) through connection with our community partners.
- To keep BUUF informed and connected with refugee and immigrant issues as they bubble up in our community and government
- To help mobilize public witness and legislative advocacy efforts when needed (witness events, letter writing campaigns, etc.)
- To support direct service projects (family mentoring, citizenship tutoring, collection of clothing and supplies, training & support, community building, meals, etc.)
- Contact: Betty Van Gheluwe
- Meetings: The evening of the fourth Monday of the month. The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 25 at 6:30 pm in the BUUF Library, Agenda