Social Justice Council
The Social Justice Council at BUUF started in 2015 as a way to gather all of our social justice ministries, actions of immediate witness, and task forces under a broader umbrella.
Our vision is that we believe social justice work is a natural outgrowth of a healthy, nurturing church community as we seek to act out our Seven UU Principles in the world. We believe that social justice work should be reciprocal, and based on honored and dignified relationships in order that the good work be enduring, sustainable, and transformative for all involved.
Our mission, in conjunction with our minister, is to nurture our identity as a social justice congregation. To that end, we support, guide, and collaborate with existing and emerging groups of congregants who want to address a social justice need using the resources of the Church.
We will effect this:
- By engaging the congregation with opportunities to do meaningful justice work (systemic change) and mercy work (service/relief).
- By partnering with religious, social service, and advocacy groups to magnify our impact.
- By expanding, deliberately and strategically, the range of social justice ministries to which we commit.
- By reflecting on and evaluating our efforts so that the Fellowship keeps faith with its stated mission to “practice justice…as a congregation.”
- Debra Smith, Co-chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Bigelow, Co-chair, email@example.com
- Kacee O’Connor
- Betty Van Gheluwe, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cathy Sherman
Meetings are held during the evening of the third Tuesday of the month and are open to all.
- 2017-2018 Program Year
- August 16, 2017, yearly planning meeting, click here to see meeting notes
- September 19, 2017, 6:30 – 8:30 pm, in the Raible Room (far end of the north classrooms) meeting notes
- October 17, 2017, Hosted by Kacee O’Connor with a potluck dinner at 6 pm followed by the meeting from 6:30 – 8:30 pm, click here to see the meeting notes
- November 28, 2017, Hosted by Debra Smith with a potluck dinner at 6 pm followed by the meeting from 6:30 – 8:30 pm, click here to see the meeting notes
- December 19, 2017 — cancelled
- January 16, 2018, Hosted by Jim Bigelow with a potluck dinner at 6 pm followed by the meeting from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. meeting notes
- February 20, 2018, Hosted by Cathy Sherman, with a potluck dinner at 6 pm followed by the meeting from 6:30 – 8:30 pm, meeting notes
- March 20, 2018, Hosted by Debra Smith with a potluck dinner at 6 pm followed by the meeting from 6:30 – 8:30 pm
- April 17, 2018, TBD
- May 15, 2018, TBD
- June 19, 2018, TBD
- July — no meeting
If you would like to contact the Social Justice Council, please email Jim Bigelow.
Read the 2015-2016 Social Justice Council Report here.