Notes from Social Justice Council Meeting, 3/19/19

These are the notes from the second hour of the March 19th Social Justice Council meeting. See the notes from the first hour at: https://boiseuu.org/notes-from-the-3-19-19-meeting-on-hosting-justice-events/

  • Review of Feb 10th resolution discussion
    • what worked, what didn’t
      • RS: the entire process went well
        • meeting got a bit tedious, with nitpicking word smithing
        • the way we structured the questions meant we got a lot of comment & discussion
    • what would we do differently?
      • suggestions 
        • ask “could you vote for the resolution as written and if not what needs to change?”
      • Where do resolution come from and how are we engaging the people who are originating the resolutions?
        • climate change – came out of climate change group, that works
        • the health care one was drafted by a single person.
        • Suggestions: before we do the congregation vetting meeting
          • invite people to a social justice council meeting to discuss.
          • first the council originates the resolution then invites interested parties to comment.
        • have someone who is a contact with UUA to publish our resolution
      • What is the timing for absentee voting on resolutions?
        • done in time for the State Legislative session
        • for May meeting
        • as  caused by events.
        • as a result of UUA GA events.
      • what drives resolution formation?
        • What is the UUA saying
        • what is happening with local 
        • what is the congregation thinking
      • The social justice council must take a more active role in the conduct of the process.
        • Jim: will have a meeting with Tess and Rev. Sara about what they did so that council can take on more
    • We will do a resolution voting process next fall and in preparation for the 2020 legislature
      • One – three resolutions at a time. 
    • simple and broad resolutions may be more effective than one with  many, many whereas clauses
      • tie it to our principles.
    • mixed feelings about action items
      • we should issue press releases after passing resolutions
        • post cards with resolutions and space for comments to be sent to legislators
  • What to do with our pending resolution, “Ending Family Separation and Reunite Immigrant Families”
    • discussion deferred, with the suggestion it will need to be revisited/updated
  • BUUF Gun Safety Resolution and Mothers for Demand Action for Gun Sense
    • The resolution calls for the following actions:
      • Supporting community partners working on common sense solutions locally and nationally,
      • A public media campaign to make our voice, support, and adoption of this resolution prominent in our community (including but not limited to, press release, a letter campaign to lawmakers, opinion pieces, etc.)   
    • discussion deferred for next meeting.
  • Sue proposed roles on the council:
    • resolution coordinating
    • external communicator
      • Tentative Advertisement: The social justice council is seeking a volunteer communicator to prepare news releases to legislators and the public.  These would describe the congregation’s stand of Social Justice issues, particularly those voted on as resolutions.  The scope for the resolutions would be both local and nation and support actions from the UUA.
  • Round Table:
    • Jim: 5 year plan, Earth Care Ministry
      • Nothing to report on the 5 year plan
      • Earth Care Ministry is off and running with a plan for the remainder of this year and next.
    • Sue: Climate Action – World-Wide Youth Climate Strike
      • Attended by about 200 youth
      • BUUF was the only adult group there supporting the strikers from Boise High
    • Cathy & Tess: Safe Parking lot program
      • Have information from the Edmunds UU church
      • Cathy and Tess will meet to discuss.
    • Don: Racial Justice (Decentering Whiteness Learning Circle)
      • Some interest from the participants about continuing
      • Elizabeth Greene chaired the last meeting and recorded:
        • who was interested 
        • what was sent to the UUA
      • Don will be the point person for this and do the follow up with Rev. Greene
    • Marni: UUA Funding Program
      • there are a number of things that UUA will fund in a twice a year funding cycle
      • Actions of immediate public witness:  
        • mobilizing in critical times
        • Marni will act as the contact for this.
        • will get more info as discuss at the next meeting
    • Tess: Status of Plate Partner Nominations
      • have 5 already
      • deadline is April 14.
      • Tess will send an email to remind everyone that nominations are open
    • Betty: Refugee & Immigrant Ministry
      • Sept 21st is immigration celebration and it will be the fall social justice summit
        • no BEC involvement,
        • as much as possible do our own tech.
    • Jim: Rapid Response via BUUF Bulletin
      • be careful with forwarded email, better to copy content
      • more than one a day can be too much.