|The Boise Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (BUUF) is a vibrant, progressive religious community of approximately 260 members, located in Garden City, Idaho. We are dedicated to the values of justice, equity, and compassion and seek to enact them within our fellowship and the wider world. We are a welcoming congregation for seekers, regardless of race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ability. Please take time to familiarize yourself with our Fellowship at boiseuu.org. |
BUUF is seeking an experienced gardener as a part-time Seasonal Gardner/independent contractor to help steward our beautiful property, lovingly referred to as our Outdoor Sanctuary. Our beloved property consists of a variety of landscapes including walking paths, flower beds, meditation gardens, outbuildings, a play and picnic area, courtyard, and a grove of Silver Poplars, totaling over 4 acres. The contractor will work independently and in collaboration with our volunteer Outdoor Sanctuary Team (OST) in the maintenance and continued development of these beloved grounds.
BUUF is seeking a caring, consistent, well-informed Seasonal Gardener to serve as the primary paid contractor for overseeing the maintenance and development of our Outdoor Sanctuary (OS).
This contract is seasonal, with the majority of grounds labor taking place between March and October each year, beginning March 2022, or as soon as possible. The budget for this contract is for 6 – 10 hours/week through the season, and compensated at $25 per hour. The schedule is flexible according to the needs of the contractor, and within the needs of the OS grounds and team. Time will be submitted monthly and paid monthly according to the BUUF annual payroll calendar. This position reports directly to the OST Leader and will work closely and collaboratively with the OS team of volunteers and the BUUF staff. As an independent contractor, the Seasonal Gardner is not eligible for additional benefits. A background check may be required.
Responsibilities and tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
* Pruning a wide variety of woody perennial plants, (but nothing over approx. 10’ that requires specialized equipment and tall ladders.)
* Weeding the extensive flower beds, pots, and pathways across the whole property.
* Deadheading, maintaining, and some planting of pots and flower beds as needed.
* Knowledge of a variety of flowering and ornamental plants is essential.
* Basic knowledge of sprinkler and drip line irrigation is helpful.
* The majority of the 4 acre property is trimmed and mowed weekly by volunteers. The Seasonal Gardener may be asked to fill in for volunteer mowers as needed.
* Work with the Building & Grounds Coordinator (BUUF staff position) for regular maintenance of grounds equipment as needed.
* Troubleshoot problem areas and issues as they arise.
* Stay abreast of current trends in gardening, landscaping, and irrigation to make recommendations for the long range plans for the property.
* Communicate with OST Leader to request additional volunteer support for needs of the property.
* The church reserves the right to contract with other professional services for needs beyond the scope of the seasonal gardener such as, but not limited to, irrigation system maintenance and repair, professional tree services for pruning jobs above 10’, application of needed fertilizers and chemicals throughout the year.
* Additional responsibilities and tasks as needed.
* This position requires a motivated person who can work independently but is flexible around the weather and planned events on the grounds.
* Experience and proven success in landscape design is a plus.
* Willingness to learn, troubleshoot, and evolve with the changing needs of the property.
* Collaborative, flexible work style with ability to pivot and handle last minute changes.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact with volunteers, congregants, and staff.
* Excels at operating in a fast-paced community environment.
* Commitment to get the job done; persuasive with details and facts; ability to look at situations from several points of view.
* Commitment to the mission, vision, and ends of Boise UU Fellowship.
* A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
The employer, Boise Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (BUUF), is located at 6200 Garrett Street in Garden City, Idaho. We employ a full time Minister and five other staff. BUUF is an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of ability, experience, and character necessary for the job without discrimination in regard to age, gender, affectional orientation, race, creed, national origin, marital status, gender identification or physical disability. We are a liberal religious community.
To be considered for the position, please email a resume with your contact information, relevant work or project history, and three professional references, Attention: John O’Connor, Outdoor Sanctuary Team Leader, email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Position to begin immediately. Open until filled.