Attending: Mark Bussonlini, Marni Odermann, Dennis Rockwood, Sharon Rockwood, Cathy Sandstrom, Don Stepich
- Opening words – Sharon read a quote by Jalaluddin Rumi, 13th Century Persian Muslim poet, jurist, theologian and Sufi mystic.
Be a lamp
or a lifeboat
or a ladder.
Help someone’s soul heal.
Walk out of your house like a shepherd.
- Notes for the October 2021 meeting
- Update on Resolution – Social Justice Resolution to Defend and Advocate with Transgender, Nonbinary, and Intersex Communities
- Based on the 2021 UUA General Assembly’s Action of Immediate Witness Defend and Advocate with Transgender, Nonbinary, and Intersex Communities (PDF)
- Authored by Jim Bigelow, Reverend Sara, and Jax Perez
- Sent for review by the Social Justice Council, Sept 11, 2021 – online comment form is still open: online form for gathering comments on the resolution “Defend and Advocate with Transgender, Nonbinary, and Intersex Communities“.
- Update from Rev. Sara (11/3/21)
The Board voted to allow it to go forward using our electronic (absentee) voting process. Rachel Strong and I talked about a potential schedule that gives us lots of time to move through a feedback process. I do think it is important to hold one live feedback session in addition to circulating the feedback form Jim created. We would need someone to co-facilitate that session with me (proposed date below).
1) email communication about resolution & voting to congregation (Next week is possible). Be sure to include the context of resolution and why we want to pursue this now.
2) Keep feedback form in weekly gazette and send it out on other platforms
3) Zoom feedback session Dec. 5 – after worship (need co-facilitator)
4) Dec 7 – SJ council incorporates feedback into final resolution at December meeting and sends to board
5) Dec 16 (Board Meeting) – Board considers approval of final resolution and vote
6) Early January – absentee ballot sent out for voting (Jan 4th – 9th)
Rachel is on hand to help support communications while I am out in November.
- A BUUF resolution supporting the Transgender, Nonbinary and Intersex communities will be useful during the 2022 session of the Idaho Legislature.
- 2021-22 Plate Partners –spreadsheet here
- November: Indigenous Idaho Alliance -BUUF person who will speak for them: Jax will arrange
- December: Planned Parenthood – BUUF contact person: Marni
- January: Create Common Good – BUUF contact person – Mark
- February: Immigrant Justice Idaho – BUUF contact person – (CATHY OR DIANE?)
- March: Mészkő Scholarship Fund –
- April: Citizens Climate Lobby – BUUF contact person – Dennis/Sharon
- FOLLOW UP Plate Partner check presentations (in person or virtual) – volunteers needed
- Jesse Tree – Mark will contact Rachel and Jesse Tree to deliver check and for photo-op.
- Agency for New Americans – check and donated household items (mops, buckets, etc.) – Cathy will ask Betty about who to contact.
- Round Table
- Climate Action Team- Dennis. Currently presenting series “Carbon Buddy Manual” by John and Paula Warren. Encourages ways to take personal action to reduce carbon footprint.
- Immigrant/Asylum Seeker – Cathy. Asylum Seeker in quiet time. Focus now on Refugee and Immigrant Resettlement. In discussion with IRC (International Rescue Committee) in Boise. Needs housing for Congolese refugees – large families, co-signers on rental agreements, those interested at BUUF will be on call in the next week or so.
- Special Appeal at February Auction – Mark brought message from Anne-Marie encouraging applications.
- Mark: Interfaith Sanctuary – new site; Boise Books – lots available; Rolling Tomatoes – produce from Farmer’s Market.
- Next meeting is December 7 at 6pm