BUUF Racial Justice Ministry
July 25, 2019 @ 2:00p.m.
Eileen Oldag, Thoma Neale, Don Stepich, Diane Ryssel
August 8, 2019 @ 2:00p.m.
Don reported that Jim Bigelow posted online https://boiseuu.org/justice/ the 8th principle as a proposed resolution on the Social Justice and Resolutions page. It was sent to the Social Justice Council for consideration, then will go to the congregation for a vote.
Eileen spoke with Tess regarding Reverend Sara sharing a message with congregants, informing about the role of racial justice in the church, and BUUF’s newly formed RJM. October 6th or 13th are likely available dates.
October 14th Indigenous Peoples Day has been confirmed. Adult education evening potluck and film. The 8th Principle will be a part of the evening conversation.
Continued discussion regarding fund raising included whether or not the RJM merits a budget through BUUF. Other potential donors may include the Idaho Human Rights Commission, or the Unitarian Universalist Association. No queries have yet been made. It was mentioned that fund raising possibilities will be a part of the conversation during the August 24th BUUF Social Justice meeting.
Dialogue and brainstorming included offering a speaker series with such names as Jill Gill, PhD, BSU, Erin Rausch, BSU, and Joe Whittle. Additionally, Eileen brought up the idea of a special education series to include:
• Waking up White, by Debby Irving – a possible book club series.
• A leadership training in racial justice to include, church leadership, the board, and ministry leadership.
• Approach groups within the church, possibly each of us engaging two groups with our ministry purpose and intent.
Ideas regarding frequency of program offerings remains a lively discussion with resolution on the horizon.
• Don will package content of what we have gathered thus far into a program format, including Ted Talks, conversation topics, guest speakers, activities, special events, and films.
• Eileen research idea for a RJM brochure.
• Diane will contact a UUA representative to address questions regarding adopting the 8th Principle.
• All members will continue to research materials that may support and facilitate launching this ministry.
Ongoing Team Focus:
• Indigenous Peoples Day event
• Short videos for discussion
• Reverend Sarah sermon
• 8th principle
• Recruiting other speakers
• Fund raising options