Social Justice Events
- Housing First – Furniture Next!, the Social Justice Summit on the Housing First Model, 11/11/17, 9 am – 1 pm. Featuring out plate partner, CATCH INC, and special guests supporting the city of Boise’s Housing First model for ending homelessness.
- Potluck Picnic – Meet Your New American Neighbors, sponsored by the BUUF Refugee & Immigrant Ministry, 10/15/17, 3 pm – 6 pm, Pier Pavilion, Esther Simplot Park, Boise
- Agency for New Americans Fall Fundraising event – “Honoring the Journey”, 10/14/17, The Linen Building, 1402 W Grove St, Boise, time to be determined.
- Invitation to join a Boise Advocacy Team
- 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, October 3, 2017
- Hyde Park Mennonite Church, 1520 N. 12th Street, Boise, ID
- Hosted by the Friends Committee on National Legislation
Tired of protesting? Wishing you could change a decision-makers mind? Concerned about big issues?
You’re invited to join a new Advocacy Team in Boise that will be among 70 teams and 1,000 volunteers coordinated and trained by the Friends at the national level. The Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) is a Quaker lobby in the public interest, open to all faith groups. Advocacy Teams focus on one issue per year and develop ongoing conversations and relationships with members of Congress. By building momentum nationally, they change policies. This year’s issue is reducing Pentagon spending and strengthening our social safety net. The next two months are crucial for influencing the budget.
On Tuesday October 3 at 6:30 p.m. more than 30 Boise volunteers will meet at the Hyde Park Mennonite Church for the first FCLN-led national conference call to learn talking points from expert guests, share up-to-the minute legislative updates and learn successful strategies being used by other teams (and states).
Please contact Jim Bigelow (email@example.com), a member of BUUF’s Social Justice Team, if you can attend or for more information.
- Healthcare Rally, Friday, Sept 22:
- when: 11 am – 1 pm but if you can only join for a little bit, the best time to do so would be from 11:30am-12:30pm.
- where: Outside Sen Crapo’s office, (251 E Front St, Boise)
- why: We need to show Sen Crapo that Idahoans oppose any cuts to the ACA. Taking health care from millions of people in the US is unacceptable, and he needs to know that we are going to keep him accountable for his vote.
- Defend the Idaho Dreamers: The Idaho Organizing Project is sponsoring a Defend Idaho Dreamers support rally at 10:00 am on Saturday Sept. 9th at the Idaho Capitol steps.