Social Justice Events
This page shows the social justice activities proposed, sponsored, or endorsed by the
- Social Justice Council,
- the Rapid Response team and Rise Up!, Idaho, and
- Refugee and Immigrant Ministry.
Rapid Response Team & Rise Up, Idaho!
Resist Trump’s attempt to begin massive internment of families!
From the ACU: Stop Speaker Ryan’s Anti-Immigrant Bill
In the House, Speaker Paul Ryan is working to pass a bill today that would sanction mass immigrant family detention and give Trump a Congressional greenlight on his brutal anti-immigrant agenda.
You play a crucial role in our fight and our jobs aren’t done – make a call today to stop Congress from passing a law that puts families in prison camps.
Contact Representative Simpson: (202) 225-5531
Please contact Senators Risch and Crapo to oppose Speaker Ryan’s Bill
Oppose Trump’s Gag Rule, from I Stand With Planned Parenthood.
The Trump-Pence administration’s gag rule would do three things:
- Impose new rules designed to make it impossible for patients to get birth control or preventive care from reproductive health care providers like Planned Parenthood.
- Prevent health care providers across the country — including doctors, nurses, hospitals, and community health centers — from referring their patients for safe, legal abortion.
- Remove the guarantee that patients get full and accurate information about their health care from their doctor.
Social Justice Council Meeting: September 18, from 6:00 – 8 pm at Kacee O’Connor’s home in Boise
There is a potluck dinner with meeting to follow. All are welcome to join us for a discussion of Social Justice activities at BUUF.
For more information, contact Kacee O’Connor firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Justice Summit: Being the Change through Social Action, October 6, from 9 – 1 at the Boise Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Boise
Registration $10. There are scholarships available. Child care will be provided
- 9 AM: Sign in
- 9:15 – 10:30:
- Rev. Sara will open the summit
- Presentation on Rise Up, Idaho campaign and platform
- UUA Social Justice, Interfaith Equality Coalition, and Rise Up, Idaho!
- 10:30 – 12:30, Deep Listening and a Deep Listening Exercise
- 12:30 – 1:00 , Lunch, Exercise debriefing, and Tools for next steps
- 1:00 Closing Circle.
Refugee and Immigrant Ministry
- Contact Betty (email@example.com) for information on events and activities.
- BUUF refugee and immigrant ministry signups
Housing First — Furniture Next! The Social Justice Council began investigating a “Furniture Bank” at the request of one of our Plate Partners, CATCH, Inc. We conducted a “Housing Summit” with CATCH, Inc. in order to begin the conversation about the Housing First model, and how the Furniture Bank might support that city-sponsored initiative. The Furniture Bank would be an outlet for free and/or affordable furniture for the Treasure Valley’s vulnerable recently homed such as refugees, immigrants, survivors of domestic abuse and sexual assault, LGBTQ+, young adults aging out of foster care, and folk who were previously homeless. This project, a Furniture Bank, is within the scope of what BUUF could manage with assistance from internally related ministries and external community partners, building connection within the fellowship and with the Treasure Valley community. The Social Justice Council has a draft multi-year timeline that includes research on other programs, meetings with stakeholders, surveys, design, and implementation. There is also interest to include a “Fix It Cafe,” where interested parties could get together to build the skills to refurbish damaged furniture/appliances to donate to the furniture bank or keep if they are among the served populations. This Furniture Bank project was selected as it serves a need in the community without duplicating efforts, builds community ties, and is sustainable for BUUF to manage