Minutes – Board Meeting
Boise Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
September 16, 2021
Board Members: Tom von Alten, Sarah Cox, Elaine Daly, Eileen Geddings, Debbie Johnson, Jenna Raino, Cathy Sherman, Scott Smith, Mark Zimmerer
Rev. Sara LaWall
|Board Action||20210916-1||Accept Consent Agenda||Moved: Jenna R. Second: Tom V. Motion Carried|
|Board Action||20210916-2||Continue with hybrid level of the Covid Re-opening guidelines*||Moved – Scott S. Second – Eileen G. Motion Carried|
|Board Action||20210819-3||Certify the vote result to approve the funds**||Moved – Scott S. Second – Jenna R. Motion Carried|
- Covid update
With test positivity rates up, crisis standards of care in force in Idaho hospitals, low availability of ICU beds, etc. the re-opening guidelines indicate that we should remain at the level we are currently at. It was moved that we continue as we are.
*Motion made (20210916-2): Move to continue with the hybrid level (10 or less inside, 50 or less outside).
- Proposed Task Force – BEC, Douglas Property, Other Outdoor Space Opportunities
The letter from the BEC (Bridge Event Center) stating the closure of the business and ramifications of it was discussed including:
- Logistics of closing the business;
- The business model used (pros/cons);
- Possible future opportunities for BUUF facilities; and
- The relationship and communication between BEC and BUUF.
With Covid ongoing for the foreseeable future, it does not seem feasible to try and start a new similar business at this time. Communication of the closure will be handled by a combination of an announcement from BEC and the Board President’s monthly letter to the fellowship.
The discussion unearthed the idea for a town hall type meeting of the fellowship to more personally communicate and discuss the impact of Covid on worship services, small group gatherings (for RE, etc.), and being in-fellowship in-person. Communication to friends and members has largely been through one-off inquiries and updates via the Bulletin and President’s letter; it is felt that something more is needed as Covid continues and plans to reopen continue to change.
A town hall will be held, probably October 10 after service (date and time to be confirmed).
- ESITF – results of the vote to fund the Fahs room project
**Motion made (2020916-3): Move to certify the vote result (funds approved).
- Proposal re Special Gift Fund
A gift from members of BUUF of approximately $50,000 per year is made. The donors put no restrictions on how the gift is to be used.
Establishing guidelines for use of the funds and where in the balance sheets the funds would reside was discussed, as well as preliminary plans to use part of the funds to further Social Justice program works and hold some funds available for operating expenses and possible minimums and maximums for those amounts.
Using the input received, Rev. Sara will put together a proposal and present it to the Board in the next couple of months.
- Proposal re Direct/Restricted Funds
This item was tabled until the October or November Board meeting due to lack of meeting time to discuss, and other factors such as the books not being closed for the 20/21 fiscal year. It was suggested rolling the proposal for the Special Gift Fund into this discussion/action would be appropriate.